This recipe comes to Betty’s Cook Nook via my Niece Kimberly.
Halloween 2018 proved to be the perfect time for Kim and her fiancé Chris to come for a visit. They were both on the keto diet, being just two months before their wedding date. Kim raved about this dish and was so excited to make and share it with us.
After tasting her loaded cauliflower casserole creation, we understood why – we could each easily devour the entire casserole! This dish reminded me so much of loaded mashed potatoes, but it’s low in carbs, the hallmark of the ketogenic diet. And it only calls for six ingredients!
I’m parking this recipe here at my Mom “Betty’s” Cook Nook because it’s a family favorite and Mom would wholeheartedly approve! Plus, now I know where to turn whenever I get a hankering for bacon, cheese, sour cream, and mayo delight.
Total prep: About 45 minutes.
6-8 strips | bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 large head (about 6 cups) | cauliflower, cut up into bite-sized pieces
2 cups | sharp cheddar cheese, grated
6 tablespoons | fresh chives, chopped
½ cup | mayonnaise
½ cup | sour cream
iii. What to do
1. Cook your bacon as you like (skillet or oven). Drain off the grease and set the bacon aside to cool.
2. Add the cauliflower into a large pot, fill it with water, and bring it to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 8-10 minutes. Drain the cauliflower and set it aside to cool.
3. Preheat your oven to 425°F. Now’s a good time to crumble your bacon.
4. Combine 1 cup of cheddar cheese, ½ of the crumbled bacon, ½ of the chives, all the mayonnaise, sour cream, and the cauliflower. Mix well.
5. Transfer the mixture into a casserole dish and sprinkle the rest of the cheese and bacon on top.
6. Place the casserole into the oven and bake it for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
7. Remove from the oven, sprinkle the reminder of the chives on top and serve.
Serves: One to a few, depending on your ability to resist deliciousness.
Founder and “Nostalgic Food Blogger” of Betty’s Cook Nook